Chicken & Dumplings!

Much like every other person on my campus, I am sick. I called my Mom, and of course, she suggested a Snuggie and some chicken noodle soup. So, I scoured my pitiful pantry and found no chicken noodle soup. Pathetic, no? Thankfully, I have about a months worth of frozen chicken in my freezer. I searched the internet for about an hour to no avail, but then I stumbled upon this fabulous little chicken & dumplings recipe. If you haven't been to MommieCooks, you need to go there right now! Make sure to come back though, okay?


Stuffy and runny nose in tow, I embarked on my journey to sooth my aches.





I got together some old carrots and celery from the bottom of my crisper. I forgot how long they have been in there... is that bad? Either way, I needed to get rid of them.





Choppity chop chop. On a side note, I absolutely LOVE my Paula Deen knife set! I found them on sale at walmart for about &17 dollars. It can with a large chef's knife, a smaller knife, and a parring knife. Amazing!




After chopping my carrots and celery, I cut up a small vidalia onion and a clove of garlic (for good measure).




Then, I made my dumplings. It was the first time I made any type of dough, and even though I used almost all of my flour as it was so sticky, it turned out really well! Then, I used a water bottle as a make-shift rolling pin, and rolled it out. I cut it into (mostly) squares with a pizze cutter sprayed with Pam.




Yes, I am new at this. I got so excited that things were going so well, I forgot to take pictures! Note to self: work on that.

After adding everything to the pot, I realized that... well... I need a bigger pot. But that is beside the point.

It was absolutely DELICIOUS! It was super simple to make, even for a college student on a college student budget. I think foods for the soul, a la chicken noodle soup and the like, don't need to be made with a bajillion ingredients and spices. It's old school. I shared this with my boyfriend, plus I had enough leftover for lunch today AND lunch tomorrow!

I highly suggest you try this recipe out, especially if you have the sniffles.

Chicken and Dumpling Soup

Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour (or more as needed to make the dough less sticky)

1 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

3/4 Cup Ice Water

4 Cups Chicken Stock

3 Carrots, Chopped

2 Stalks Celery, Chopped

1/2 tsp Celery Salt

2 Cloves Garlic, Minced

1/2 tsp Basil

1/2 tsp Oregano

2 Large Chicken Breasts, thawed and cubed

1/2 Cup Half & Half

Directions:

It's dough time! Mix together your flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly start to add in your ice water while you are kneading the dough. Add enough water (I used the full amount) to form a nice ball. Knead it for about 5 more minutes, and then set it aside.

In a large pot, add your chicken stock, chicken, carrots, garlic, celery, basil, oregano, and celery salt. Put it on medium heat. Stir to incorporate, and let the chicken cook thoroughly. When the chicken is cooked, remove it and set it aside.

Back to the dough! Grab a rolling pin (or a water bottle/any round cylindrical thing you have handy) and dust it with flour. Roll it out about 1/4" thick. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cute them into to squares. Drop them into the broth and let them cook. You'll know when they are done, because the will float to the top!

You can either shred up your chicken or leave it chunks, and add it back into the broth. Lastly, grad your half & half and add it in, stirring.

Donzo!

p.s. Does anyone have any tips on food photography or editing? My kitchen is super small with minimal natural light, and I'm not sure what to do. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!


-Alaina


Recipe printed with permission by MommieCooks.

Two Minute Takes  – (October 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM)  

Holy! I'm very impressed. I've only ever attempted dumplings once and my first chicken soup was so bad even my cat wouldn't eat it! You did a wonderful job and should be very proud of yourself. Hoping it helps you get over your cold quickly. By the way, welcome to blogging!

P.S. About your question on food photography and editing...you may want to contact another blogger (about your age) who is a fantastic photographer. Her name is Audry and her blog is playswithfood27.wordpress.com She may be able to give you some advice about food photography.

Cooking Rookie  – (October 3, 2011 at 8:24 PM)  

Hi Alaina,
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comment :-). You are doing really well for a beginner cook, especially with a cold. I hope you get well better!
Regarding food photography, I think daylight is the key. I myself have a very small kitchen with no daylight, so my photos are far from what I'd like them to be. I find Picasa photo editing program pretty good - it's free and simple to use and has basic functionality, like cropping, adjusting lighting and contrast, etc (and when you're really lazy, try the I'm feeling lucky button).
Goodluck with the blog, I'll stop by to check how things are going around your kitchen :-)

julie  – (October 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM)  

So glad it worked out for you! Your picture looks pretty tasty to me, it's got me craving another bowl of that soup! Lots of times when I'm not sure how to take a picture of a finished product, I'll head over to foodgawker or tastespotting for some inspiration. I just type what I've made in the search bar and see how everyone else is photographing it. Often that will give me the inspiration I need. Good luck and welcome to the world of blogging!

Eric  – (October 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM)  

It was a great dish, I enjoyed sharing it with you very much honey. I love when you cook for me. It's my turn next time. Love, Eric

Annie  – (October 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM)  

thanks for stopping by my blog! I love homemade chicken and dumplings! My husband actually asked for it again so I better get to making it tomorrow.

Another wonderful online photo editing tool I use a LOT is picnik.com it is so easy and can even make collages too.

Good luck with the blog! Let me know if you ever have any questions!

sophia  – (October 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM)  

Hello Alaina! Thanks for saying hello on my blog. Welcome to the blog world! :-)

And wow, you made real dumplings by hand. That's just super badass. I just had some Spaghetti-O's you put me to shame! lol.

p.s. There's nothing to do about lighting except to use a good camera, or to shoot in natural light. Lighting is just one of those things that are not easy to correct! :-(

Samantha @ Ferraro Kitchen  – (October 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM)  

LOVE chicken and dumplings!! Thats my moms dish and is on my list to make!! I love that you're new, because I am new at blogging too! Do you have a facebook or twitter set up yet? Message me when you do so we can connect!

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP